Wildstar

Not actual real life games, but things that could one day become games.

Wildstar

Postby random » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:34 pm

I have been reading about Wildstar, which is a game slated to arrive during the first half of next year.

I love the sense of humor the developers are showing through their videos. The warplots look like they could provide an interesting challenge for a guild to construct and defend (ala Shadowbane). It will be fun to see how this game develops.

Anyone else looking at this game or in the beta?

Cheers!
-Toklat
I'm helping! :)
random

Postby Sergi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:39 pm

Reply in a thread from 2007 about these guys: "Get back to me in 2010 when they have something playable." Looks like they were overly optimistic in their snark.

Threads that run for 6+ years with more than 1200 replies tend to wander and I can't tell from recent chatter what any of it has to do with this game. Certainly not in any positive light. Recreating 0-60 Vanilla WoW, or pre-expansion EverQuest? Sounds like a nightmare. Mainly the discussion turned into a lament against gamers who pay for this stuff in this day and age, and doomcasting the demise of the entire MMORPG concept.

Also, the "don't break the DNA" posts suggest, just by their tone / arrangement / lack of day-0 pre-orders, that nothing good is forthcoming from this title.
Sergi

Postby random » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:49 am

Wow. I hadn't looked at forums for the game, mostly because I don't know where they would be; there aren't official forums for the game that I can find. What forums were you looking at?

The developers (Carbine Studios) are from vanilla WoW. The vanilla WoW experience comment doesn't seem overly fair or apt based upon the dearth of actual information about the game from people who have played it.

The things that seem compelling about the game based upon the sources I have been able to access (press, videos and the website) are:

1. Sense of Humor - the game exudes a humorous personality. The planet Nexus and its denizens are living on the bleeding edge and that takes a certain psychopathic predilection.
2. Path - In addition to picking a class, you pick a path (Soldier, Settler, Scientist or Explorer) and that provides you with a set of additional quests based upon the path. If you select Soldier, you will have quests available which call on you to field test experimental weaponry, defend locations, slay enemies, etc. If you are a Settler, you will be called upon to construct buildings which will unlock quest givers, vendors and other things.
3. Telegraphing - When a mob / boss / pvp opponent is about to use a large damage ability the range of the ability will be shown on the ground in the form of a red overlay. All mobs do this starting at level 1. This means that players will know when something is coming and what to move out of, and should help reduce the time spent "learning the fight" to actually understanding the mechanics, rather then wondering if you're standing in fire or a friendly healing spell.
4. Warplot - A spot of land where a guild can build a fortress and defend it against other players bent on destroying it. This is raid-level (40-person) pvp. I'm excited by the prospect, but also fear it could be terrible or out of reach of smaller guilds / groups.

As with the whole game, it all depends upon actual execution and the details matter. I'm excited about how this game sounds and what it might be based upon what I'm seeing. But getting excited about an upcoming game has never been a problem for me. :)
-Toklat
random

Postby Sergi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Not official forums, f13 is where I get most of my commentary summarized from around the web and heaped with a double dose of cynicism. This was the thread I had in mind, I just forgot to edit in the link in my initial reply.

Something Awful also has forums and discussion about Wildstar, I can't imagine it is positive. Likewise, I bet elitist jerks has a thread on Wildstar as well on their internal forums, Nick can probably help recon that.
Sergi

Postby random » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:57 pm

The video of the Ron Popeil of classes (the Engineer) was released today.

Check out the DevSpeak video on the Engineer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KjLEJygYkQ
-Toklat
random

Postby random » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:13 am

The good people at Massively just released a raft of articles from their hands on experience with the game. You definitely have to apply a filter for their gushing enthusiasm, but there are some things to be excited about. Here are links to the articles:

Character Creation - http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/12/massivelys-hands-on-with-wildstars-character-creation/
Housing System - http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/12/massivelys-hands-on-with-wildstars-housing-system-and-new-clas/
Engineer - http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/12/massivelys-hands-on-with-wildstars-engineer/
Medic - http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/12/massivelys-hands-on-with-wildstars-medic/

Cheers!
-Toklat
random

Return to Potential Games