Elder Scrolls Online Beta Weekend

Not actual real life games, but things that could one day become games.

Elder Scrolls Online Beta Weekend

Postby random » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Any other claws get an invite to the Beta weekend this weekend? I just got one. It would be great to coordinate with other claws who will be stomping around Tamriel.

Cheers!
-Toklat
I'm helping! :)
random

Postby random » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:54 am

I've logged about an hour and here are my initial thoughts.

Voice Acting
The voice acting is very uneven in the game. The opening quest line has pretty heavy hitters in Michael Gambon and John Cleese offering their usual awesome acting skill to impart gravitas and humor respectively. However, as soon as you are turned loose on the world they turned to a computer generated voice reading the quest text. It's a little better than the one used by banks and phone companies, but not much and is pretty jarring. There was mention in chat that the system was to be improved heading to launch. I'm not sure if that means they are hiring real actors, or tweaking the system.

Combat
The combat system is very similar to how I remember Skyrim, except that I was in third person, rather than first person perspective. I selected a caster class, and I was quickly using my staff to launch fire at foes. I consistently forget to block (why do I even have the second mouse button?), and I'm usually late on the dodge. Which means I'm effectively playing as WoW has taught me to play; stand there and hurl damage at the target and hope he goes down before I do. I suspect I'll learn as time goes on.

Leveling
Using powers enables them to level. I'm level 4 on my damaging staff skill, level 2 on Light Armor and level 3 High Elf. Some of my specific spells are leveling. I root spell I have is level 4 - I like casting that because it means I get hit less. Though I learned the hard way that flying harpies can't be rooted.

Flexibility
While the makers of the game talked up the flexibility of building out your character as you want, there seems to be reasons for heading down specific paths. As a caster, I seem to really want to wear light armor. The reason is that light armor provides benefits for casting (cheaper mana costs, greater crit chance, etc). Medium and Heavy armor do not provide those benefits. So, while I can certainly put on the heavy armor, as a straight caster I think I'd be foolish to do so. Obviously the trade off may be worth it if I decided to switch focus down the road to become more of a tanky mage.

Overall
I've enjoyed the first hour or so I've played. The game is obviously in beta, but still fun. Though I confess there are few games I found unplayable or dumb after only an hour of game play. I'll post with more thoughts as I get a little further into the game over the course of the weekend.

Cheers!
-Toklat
I'm helping! :)
random

Return to Potential Games