Steam: The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot

Not actual real life games, but things that could one day become games.

Steam: The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot

Postby random » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:39 am

There is a new game coming available from UbiSoft called The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot. The game is in Beta but (sort of) available in Steam and at their own website (http://www.themightyquest.com).

The game announcement trailer is worth the viewing.
Announcement Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb9igaot1mY

I've registered to get in to the Beta. I'll provide more information if I get in.

Cheers.
-Toklat
I'm helping! :)
random

Postby random » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:09 pm

I have had an opportunity to play the game for a little bit. It is a nice combination of several games that I remember. My knight is level 6ish, and my castle is basically a drive-through loot dispensary, but the game is certainly full of charm and overall fun.

Up to this point, I've been predominantly focused on leveling my knight. You can't do anything with your castle until you get to level 5. The leveling experience is a matter of selecting a ripe-looking castle hovering in front of you and charging the gate. Once inside there are various creatures to slay and traps to avoid, or run through as the case may be.

I will say the bravado and character of the knight is pretty hilarious. One of the emotes involves dancing like Psy in Gangnam Style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0). The vocalizations are pretty solid. I encountered a few crashes and the lighting flickers, but most of what I've been doing is in the dark(er) castle interiors so flickering lighting isn't a huge deal.

Loot drops from the mobs randomly in the form of items of various quality and type, gold, crystals and life orbs which restore your hit points. You just run through the loot to pick it up, no clicking. At the end of each castle there is a set of chests which drop gold and crystals. Once you are running against other people, these chest appear to drop half of the castle owner's stash.

The castle building has elements of the pay-to-win model where you have a currency (bobbles) that is purchasable with real dollars to expedite construction and otherwise hurry up. However, I found I was out of gold more than the bobbles at the early times. And the best way to get gold is to get out there and raid other castles.

I was able to add a room to my castle which goes no where currently, but has huge potential down the road when I level up my drafting table and castle stone. I was able to add and upgrade my minions and traps. They even have a feature where you can run through your own castle to gauge how challenging it is.

I don't know that this game will hold my interest at higher levels. There is always a fear the pay-to-win model will force me out, but for the time being the game is a fun and easy diversion with two distinct and compelling elements.
-Toklat
I'm helping! :)
random

Return to Potential Games