Sins of a Solar Empire

Not actual real life games, but things that could one day become games.

Sins of a Solar Empire

Postby Nissix » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:58 am

Does anyone know anything about Sins of a Solar Empire? Steam has a sale today and this looked a lot like Homeworld (which was of my favorite games 10 years ago). Just wanted to know what people thought about it?

Thanks

Sunspear
Nissix

Postby Madd » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:12 am

I've played "Sins" for the past 3ish years. It is a solid RTS. There is generally lots of combat. There are also multiple ways to win if you want to play scenarios (games) with different victory conditions. The graphics have always been solid, and they seem even better with the latest version, Rebellion. Race balance is pretty good, and the Titans fulfill their intended roles well.

The only multiplayer I have participated in is comp stomps. The computers are quite challenging with multiple levels of difficulty and play styles to choose from. Large scenarios take many hours to complete so be prepared to play large scenarios over multiple days. The save features for this works pretty well. Players can save anytime they want to manually save, and the game also has an autosave feature that saves a scenario every 15 minutes.

I don't know what they are charging for it, but I would say it is probably worth the investment if you like space-based RTS games. I'll be glad to answer more specific questions if you have any.
Madd

Postby mange » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:23 am

How's the UI? I recall having trouble adjusting to the homeworld UI, but after a lot of hours, it suited the game very well. Did you find the sins UI similar to homerowld or different? Natural or awkward?
-Mange (AKA Krodor)
mange

Postby Madd » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:51 am

The UI is not excellent, but I find it far from terrible too. It does have several years of maturity because it has not changed much since the first iteration of the game. Most things are intuitive. Creating fleets, setting engagement zones, set auto-use abilities, click on event cards and space bar goes to event, and etc are all easy to pick up on.

I think the best description I can give is I find the usability acceptable because the topic is more subjective unless the UI is just horrid. The main thing to battle with games like this is the information overload. Players have to adjust to the flood of information and learn to prioritize.
Madd

Postby Nissix » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:54 am

For those interested Steam sale is: Midweek Madness (Offer Ends Thursday at 4pm Pacific Time)

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion ($39.99) 75% off $9.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204880/

Sunspear

P.S. I think I will pick it up for 10 bucks
Nissix

Return to Potential Games