Shadowrun returns

Not actual real life games, but things that could one day become games.

Shadowrun returns

Postby Surrok » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Has anyone picked this up and played it yet? I know it's on Steam
Surrok: Warrior, Swordsmith, Miner
Scruphy: Shaman, Enchanter, Engineer, Janitor
Zoidburg & Morbeaux: Auction bots extraordinaire

Postby mange » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Nick has been talking it up on Sundays, don't know if he's grabbed it yet.
-Mange (AKA Krodor)

Postby Banach » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 pm

I have, though I've mainly been talking about the old Nintendo game on Sundays. Only got to play it an hour so far. It's not super high budget, but it seems nice, and from what I can tell they got the setting down (not super familiar, but using the right expressions). Lots of character creation options. Minimal loot, seems like items are mostly bought, enemies have no drops that I've found. Save system is a bit awkward (checkpoint only, at least that I can find). Combat most similar to recent X-Com game, which is a plus (for me).

Postby mange » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:03 am

Is it story driven (like a traditional RPG) or event driven (like X com)? Do you have a sense of the strength of the narrative yet?
-Mange (AKA Krodor)

Postby Banach » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:42 am

No, not great on knowing about the narrative yet. It definitely seems like it's going to have an actual narrative, but you definitely also moving from scene to scene. Haven't had a choice on which scene to go to yet, but I've only done 3 of them so far, and you don't seem to be able to re-visit previous areas. It seems closer to Baldur's Gate than X-Com at the moment. All text, all the time, so if voice acting is important to you, that would be a bad thing.

Postby Sergi » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:13 am

The buzz I've seen:
Short main campaign.
Story on rails (like most campaigns :P ).
Save only at Checkpoints, and some checkpoints are strangely placed.
Some UI quirks (add runners via the yellow plus and not the add runner button at the bottom.
Also some typos throughout.
Oh, and lots of love for the total lack of cut-scenes and voice overs - you get to play the game.
Some were complaining about the relative weakness of melee, but I seem to remember that as being expected.

But folks are loving it and the modding tools are available. Over time there should be more content and the UI should get smoother.

Thinking about buying it when I get home.

Postby Chrono2x » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:41 am

I've been really enjoying it, so here are some responses:

I've heard that the campaign is about 15 hours long, which is not too bad for a 20 hour game with a map editor.

The story is fairly on rails, but that is in genre and there are plenty side-quests.

The save thing is kinda a gripe, but honestly the checkpoints come at every loading screen, which are probably once every 5 to 10 minutes.

Some annoying UI quirks that once you are used to them (not that they are all very intuitive), they are hardly noticeable.

No cut-scenes or voice overs, but pretty good music and every loading screen has a bit of text about what is happening like what a DM would say when entering a room, which I kinda like.

I've yet to run into anything using melee that frightened my decker, but I hear that at max levels you can get some massive damage out of melee (It just takes more karma to be useful).

It is very story driven, there are no random events.

The writing ranges from fantastic to overly cliche, but overall seems to work.

I'm about 5 hours into my game and have been enjoying the game, and other than a few minor issues, it seems like everything I would want out of a $20 RPG. Though some of that worth needs to come from the community's efforts.
TOR - Serae - Jedi Sage - Cyber/Scavenge/UW Trading
WoW - Sagarn - Dwarven Hunter - Gnomish Engineer/Miner
I'm not gone, just lurking....

Return to Potential Games