Path of Exile

Not actual real life games, but things that could one day become games.

Path of Exile

Postby mange » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:53 pm

One of my colleagues is playing Path of Exile. It's presently in beta, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with it.
-Mange (AKA Krodor)
mange

Postby Surrok » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:01 pm

Thread Necro!
I've been playing Path of Exile the last couple of weekends in its open beta. Definitely a solid hack and slash with a nearly overwhelming skill tree and skill selection. As usual, I've been playing melee characters. Impressions

Good:
Lots of customization, it'll be highly unlikely that two people will be the same if left to their own devices.
Fairly constant hacking, ie not a LOT of walking around to find fights
Waypoints available for each zone to the home town
Quick and fun
Has Shared Stash like Diablo for multitoon
Portal scrolls also available
Mostly FREE (Microtransactions seem limited to cosmetic changes and noncombat pets although to add stash space probably $20 to get 6 additional tabs)

Con:
Inventory Tetris
Has Shared Stash like Diablo
Items require scrolls to identify
Extremely limited respeccing
Didn't have chat open, which is only way for trading/selling
No "Gold", currency is different depending on what you sell to vendor
Surrok: Warrior, Swordsmith, Miner
Scruphy: Shaman, Enchanter, Engineer, Janitor
Zoidburg & Morbeaux: Auction bots extraordinaire
Surrok

Postby Surrok » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:33 pm

Forgot about the potion system
Every character gets 5 potion slots which you use constantly and refill by killing things.
Surrok

Postby random » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:11 pm

I joined the Beta since it is open and I enjoy trying out new games. My character name is Qoria.

Cheers.
-Toklat
I'm helping! :)
random

Postby Surrok » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:03 am

Oh yeah, I suppose I should give toon names

Current toons: Surrock (Yes, with a c, some bastard actually had normal Surrok) and Scruphy

I've also added Keczar
Surrok

Postby Lotusvenom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:43 am

I told you about this game like two years ago. It was being displayed at PAX in 2011, and I chatted up the developers because it looked really interesting. I got a copy of the beta and Shawniee and I tried it out.

Basically, they are channeling the original diablo 1 in terms of feel, but with a radically different skill web (I think someone I was talking with about it compared it to something FF did once.)

It wasn't bad when I played it, but that was several years ago in beta. You could literally build any skill combination you wanted, and there were hundreds of skills to pick from.

Ping shawnie for more info next time you see her.
Love and facestabs,
Lotusvenom
Lotusvenom

Postby random » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Who is currently playing this game? Any tech, discussion or websites which are must reads when starting out?

Cheers.
-Toklat
I'm helping! :)
random

Postby Sergi » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Nick and I are playing. Like it a lot, it is the natural successor to DII (and I didn't like Torchlight 2 and DIII this time around).

I've got a Marauder into Cruel Hardcore presently (about to enter act 2), and the Race Events are really a fun way to play.

Basically, if you stay tight with your build you tend to do well (unless you pick Templar or the slow developing Witch) and as per usual any build can clear normal. As you get to the end of Cruel or Merciless difficulty modes (Nightmare and Hell) you end up having less freedom about what you pick, some parts of the tree are just not sufficient to carry you through (like if you ran around spending skill points on stats exclusively). Just check the forum for the class you want to play and someone will be posting a thread like: "I'm Level 80+ in Hardcore and this is my build." If you aren't playing Hardcore you can drop some of the defensive skills for more offense, but if you are playing Hardcore you should basically just take every defensive skill you can reach.

The game is unfinished, act IV is forthcoming and they are pushing new builds weekly-ish. The money-shop (since the game is free to play) is mostly cosmetics with +1 character slot and +1 stash tab options for quality of life on your account.
Sergi

Return to Potential Games